IB History HL2-Major assessment
“The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things.” [Lewis Carrol]
Jaberwoky quotes aside, its time that we address what will become one of two major assessments for this trimester (the other being a review of your portfolio, to come in November). Aside from your portfolio and your regular journal prompts, this assessment will be the only piece of work that you have for (a) the trimester and (b) that will address the IB Syllabus topic, “Cold War in the Americas, 1945-81; so make it count!!!
- A research paper [750-1000 words] linked to any topic from IB Syllabus Topic “Cold War in the Americas, 1945-81.” Papers should be based on a specific research question, [for example: “How did the McCarthy Hearings impact the American public during the Cold War?”], thoroughly sourced [primary and secondary sources] and documented [MLA, using Easybib.com]. It would behoove you to review Van Evera’s “How to Write a Paper“. This assignment will be work 150 points.
- Complete a thorough Annotated Bibliography of at least 10 Academic Journal articles that are related to as much of the IB Syllabus Topic “Cold War in the Americas, 1945-81.” as possible. All articles must be “academic” [no encyclopedia or newspaper article]. Ideally, students will be using [Edline/”More Contents”/Library Resources/”More Links”. Your best bet will be to begin with the Gale Expanded Academic ASAP database]. Students must read “How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography” and prepare their annotated bibliographies accordingly [EasyBib will be helpful]. This assignment will be worth 100 points.
- Complete a thorough OPVL analysis of 10 primary source documents that are related to the IB Syllabus Topic “Cold War in the Americas, 1945-81.”. Students will want to refer to this rubric, as you will be assessed according to these standards. This assignment will be worth 100 points.
- Students wishing to combine #s 1 and 3-in pursuit of a larger research paper or replacement IB Internal Assessment, must outline the specific of your plan in the decision benchmark (see below).
- A decision on which path you will take must be submitted to Turnitn.com no later that 27 September 2009. Please write 20+ words about what you plan to do, just so we have a record of it. I would ask you to post this to your portfolio, but since some of you still haven’t submitted your URLs to Turnitin.com…..
- Any drafts or formal commentary that you’d like from me must be emailed to me no later than Friday, 16 October 2009. After that date, I’ll assume that you’re project is going fine & will need no major assistance on my part.
- The final due date for this piece is 23 October 2009 at 11.59pm. I DO NOT (repeat, DO NOT) have the time (nor do I feel it is my responsibility) to chase students for this assignment. Once a grade of “0” is entered in the grade book for this assignment, it will stay, even if you bring be hand-grown coffee from Sumatra.
- As always, please email me if you have any further questions.