Delicious Scavenger Hunt-Suez Crisis 1956
- Students may only work in pairs! You want to claim the title of “Master Scavenger” for yourself & your partner-this is a self-help, zero-sum exercise. The first team to complete the scavenger hunt will receive, aside form my enduring praise, a financial award and an official certificate of completion. Certificate and honorarium will arrive by mail-please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.
- All artifacts must be bookmarked with your Delicious account & tagged “suezcrisis”
- Your completed list of artifacts-with links to each one-must be posted to your blog. Title the post, “Delicious Scavenger Hunt-Suez Crisis 1956”. Example: picture of a Toy Fox Terrier, map of Spanish River Park, Steve Jobs’ commencement speech at Stanford (2005), video of Ryan Giggs scoring a against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup Semifinal (you get the idea).
- Expect random distractions, throwing of M&Ms, and other efforts by your instructor to thwart your progress in this endeavor. Remember, only those who persevere will be successful! Also, if you haven’t figured this out by now, some of the exercise’s instructions may contain a healthy dose of sarcasm.
- A time line of the Suez Crisis
- A comprehensive map (set of maps) of the Suez Crisis
- a picture of Nasser speaking to a crowd
- a photo of British paratroopers at Port Said
- “Main” BBC website on the Suez Crisis
- Answer to the question: What explanation did Eisenhower give to explain why Nasser “was doing these things”? found in an entry in Eisenhower’s diary, dated 8 August 1956 [put answer in the “Notes” portion of Delicious bookmark]
- Link to United Nations Security Council Resolution S/2322 from a United Nations website
- Audio slide show from British Captain Derek Oakley
- Text of a speech from Gamel Abdel Nasser, dated 15 September 1956
- Link to a summary of the Suez Crisis from the United States Department of State, Office of the Historian
- Link to an article on the 1956 Suez Crisis from the Untied States Central Intelligence Agency: Studies in Intelligence- Journal of the American Intelligence Professional Vol. 51, No. 2 (2007)
- Link to one biographical book on Nasser from the Gale Expanded Academic ASAP Database [Edline/Library Resources/More Links]
- Link to the collection of resources on the Suez Crisis from eLibrary [Edline/Library Resources/More Links]