1973 Yom Kippur (October) War
Please note, while the “professional” documentary is an important source to understand the 1973 Yom Kippur War, the videos are interspersed with clear propaganda that some may find offensive. This does not diminish the value of the the source per se, but is certainly places limit on the videos in their entirety. Where appropriate, I have identified time markers for the video material that is appropriate for our course.
- Why did Sadat seek to re-engage with the United States?
- Why did Sadat feel, “that the only option [was] war?”
- What were the objectives of the Syrian and Egyptian plans? Were these mutually compatible?
- Why did Israel fail to respond to Syrian and Egyptian threats?
- How did the activities of the Soviet Union and the United States directly affect the 1973 Yom Kippur War?
- Did Assad and Sadat maintain their cooperation during the war?
- Who is Henry Kissinger and what role did he play during the war?
- What objectives were achieved as a result of the Brezhnev-Kissinger negotiations?
- How did the 1973 Yom Kippur War End?